(chloro-isocyanurate) is made up of chlorine and cyanuric acid. Too much cyanuric acid is present in the pool water, "chlorine lock" can occur, making the chlorine ineffective.
PH is the scale used to determine whether the water is acid or alkaline, the pH level should be maintained within the acceptable range of 7.2 to 7.8, preferably about mid-point 7.4 to 7.6. If the correct level is not maintained, the disinfecting power of the chlorine or bromine may be reduced, the color, clarity and appearance of the pool, as well as the comfort conditions of the bathers, may also be affected. An incorrect pH level can also lead to aggressive water conditions, possibly resulting in damage to the pool structure and fittings. The use of Phenol red tablets from the Pool-tester Kit is the easiest way imaginable to establish the pH level of a pool, and find out if corrective action is needed.
• Touching the tablets with your fingers can lead to inaccurate results.
• The color matching must be carried out immediately after the tablets have dissolved in the
• After each measurement the Pool Tester/Pool Check and lid should be
thoroughly rinsed out to prevent errors by cross contamination.
• Levels of Chlorine above 10 mg/l can cause bleaching of the DPD color.
• PH values below 6.8 also produce a yellow coloration, so a reading of 6,8 may be
• PH values above 8.2 also produce a red coloration, so a reading of 8,2 may be incorrect.
Balanced water is a term applied to swimming pool water when it is neither corrosive nor scale-forming. Corrosive water can eat away tile grouting, pipes or fittings, whereas scale-forming water can result in blocked pipes and filters, leaving hard deposits on walls.
To determine if the water is in balance three tests are carried out - pH, Calcium Hardness and Total Alkalinity. The results of these tests are applied to a simple table to give the balanced water condition.
By carrying out the balanced water test regularly and taking appropriate corrective action, damage to the pool and expensive repair work can be avoided.